ControlUp Hybrid Cloud Implementation Requirements
The ControlUp hybrid cloud implementation is composed of three main components:
- ControlUp Real-Time Console (a.k.a Console) - the application that provides real-time monitoring and management of your virtual and physical environment.
- ControlUp Monitor - the component for monitoring your environment 24/7, uploading historical and analytical data to our hybrid cloud infrastructure.
- ControlUp Agent - the component that communicates with the consoles and monitors in your ControlUp organization.
For information regarding communication ports for each of the components, see here.
ControlUp Real-Time Console Requirements
ControlUpConsole.exe is the main executable used for displaying data and invoking tasks. No setup is needed to start using ControlUp. Just download the executable and run it on your management server.
The ControlUp Real-Time Console can run on the following operating systems:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 and 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
The Console is the primary user interface for monitoring and managing your resources.
- The console requires no database.
- All the data you see in it is stored in-RAM, which allows for extremely fast manipulation of data. The memory usage of the Console can be intensive, depending on the number of managed machines.
- A RAM footprint of about 1GB (Working Set) is normal when managing an enterprise with up to 500 live user sessions, while thousands of sessions can bring the console’s RAM usage up to several gigabytes.
In larger environments, we recommend using a high-performance server for running the Console.
Prerequisites for ControlUp Real-Time Console
- Domain-joined desktop, laptop, Windows VM, or can be published as a CVAD application.
- .NET Framework 4.5 or higher.
- Download the executable from our website. (No installation required, run the executable with ease!)
- AD account with privileges on the machines you want to monitor / manage
- Credentials (a service account is best) and URL for your Hypervisor (XenServer, VMware, Hyper-V)
- AD account with help-desk or higher permissions in the 7.15 environment and the Broker IP or hostname
- Firewall exceptions inside the company for RPC/WMI and ports 40705 and 40706 (or Windows firewalls off)
- Internet connectivity from the monitor and console machines (it can be via proxy)
## ControlUp Monitor Requirements
The ControlUp Monitor is a component principally equivalent to ControlUp Real-Time Console but without an interactive user interface. The primary difference between a monitor and a console is the fact that the Monitor runs as a Windows service, requiring no user interaction and allowing for continuous monitoring of your resources.
Prerequisites for ControlUp Monitor
- Windows Server 2008 R2 or above. ControlUp version 8.6.5 requires a Windows Server OS.
- .NET Framework 4.5 or higher. ControlUp version 8.6.5 requires .NET Framework 4.8.
- RPC Access enabled at the installation phase
Read more about the benefits of ControlUp Monitor and how to set it up here.
The ControlUp Agent is a lightweight service that gets installed on managed computers in your organization. Installing the agent on your systems allows you to use the ControlUp Real-Time Console to perform in-depth monitoring, advanced systems management, and in-depth configuration evaluation.
ControlUp Agents have a minimal impact on performance.
- CPU usage – consistently 0% to 1%
- RAM consumption – 60 to 90 MB
- I/O – No disk activity
- No software hooks, no drivers and no reboot needed
Prerequisites for ControlUp Agents
- Windows OS - Windows 7 to Windows Server 2019. (Windows 2003 is not supported.)
- .NET Framework 4.5 or higher
- Single incoming TCP port (by default 40705) open for ongoing console/monitor communications
- RPC and WMI access for initial deployment via the console. If access is not available, the agent can be installed manually using the MSI package.