Historical Trends in Solve
You can view historical trend data directly within the Solve interface. When you see a metric you want to investigate further, you can select to view historical data for the past several days.
In this first phase of development, historical data is available for metrics that are related to:
- Machines that have the ControlUp Agent installed
- Sessions running on machines with the ControlUp Agent installed
- Hosts that are monitored in your ControlUp environment
You can select to view historical trends for:
- Single entities in the grid of the Discovery view
- Multiple entities in the grid of the Discovery view
- Dashboard widgets in the Dashboard view or the Discovery view
Let's say you have a machine that is showing over 90% percent CPU usage and you want to know for how long it has been performing at that state. You can drilldown to view the history of that metric over a period of the most previous 24, 48 or 72 hours.
To view the historical trend for a single entity:
- In the Discovery view in the entity grid, Hover over one of the entity's columns that are related to machine or host metrics. You'll see the clock icon in that column next to the metric.
- Click the clock icon to open an overlay displaying the metrics for the past 24 hours. You can also select to view 48 or 72 hours.
Let's say you see a real problem with the object you are viewing and you want to see further metrics but you don't want to have to start navigating to different dashboards or grid columns. Right in the history overlay you can see the following Machine Trends for the single machine:
- CPU Utilization
- Memory Utilization
- I/O Utilization
- Network Usage
- User Sessions
To see Machine or Host Trends for the same object you are viewing:
Expand the overlay for a single object by clicking the arrow icon next to the hours selection.
The Trends window opens displaying the relevant metrics. You can select to view the graphs in boxes or in a row. You can also select to view the data for the most recent 24, 48 or 72 hours.
If you click the clock icon next to one of the entities selected, even if multiple entities are checked as selected, the historical trend view opens for just that entity. You must click the Trends icon at the top of the grid to get the multiple historical view.
Multiple Entities - Machine or Host Trends
You can view these same metrics as the expanded Machine or Host Trends view for up to 10 objects in the Discovery view grid. This is useful if you want to see a comparison between the metrics for several objects over time.
To view the historical trend for multiple entities:
- Hover over the area of the grid to the immediate left of the object's name and click to select that object.
- Repeat for all the objects you want to select for this historical trend view.
- Once you have made all your selections (of only up to 10 objects), click the icon at the top of the grid.
The Trends window opens displaying the metrics for all the selected machines, represented by different colors for each object in each graph.
The relevant Dashboard Widgets in both Solve's Dashboard view and Discovery view include the ability to view historical trends. The widget's data has to be mapped to the monitoring information for machines or hosts . The relevant dashboards widgets include Machines Average CPU Usage, Machines Total Network Throughput, Hosts Average RAM Usage and more.
You can identify a relevant widget if you see the clock icon in the right side of the widget.
When you click the clock icon, the widget flips over to the historical trend view where you can select from the most previous 24, 48 or 72 hours. To return to the real-time view, click the open triangle to the right of the hour selection.