Upgrade Your Organization to the DEX Platform's app.controlup.com
If you currently use ControlUp from Solve (solve.controlup.com), you can upgrade your organization to use ControlUp's new DEX platform at app.controlup.com.
If you upgrade, you can continue using Solve until April 30th, 2024. After that date, Edge DX and Scoutbees will be available only from app.controlup.com. You might experience problems accessing certain dashboards in Solve due to shared cookies. To fix this problem, clear your cookies.
What Is the new app?
app.controlup.com is the new way to access all ControlUp products from a browser:
- Edge DX physical endpoint monitoring
- VDI & DaaS web console (Real-Time DX)
- Scoutbees synthetic monitoring
While we made a few changes to the app layout, the overall functionality is similar.
Why you should upgrade
- Use Edge DX and Scoutbees without a ControlUp Monitor.
- An email address-based user account system.
- Improved role-based access control for Edge DX. You can limit a user's permission to devices belonging to a specific device group. For example, you can allow a help desk employee to perform actions only on devices used by the finance department.
- Upcoming features that will be available only on the new app.
- Real-Time DX version 8.7 or higher.
- The user performing the upgrade must have Login Access Manager permissions. For more details, click here.
- The user performing the upgrade must have an email inbox to receive a one-time passcode.
- If you currently use SAML to access Solve, you will need to set up SAML in app.controlup.com. Make sure that you have a SAML administrator available to help you set up a new application with your Identity Provider.
How to upgrade your organization
To upgrade your organization:
- Go to app.controlup.com.
- Enter the email address of a user who is the organization's Login Access Manager and click Continue.
- Enter the verification code sent to your email address and click Verify Email.
- Select the organization you want to upgrade from the dropdown and click Sign in.
- Read the warning message and click Upgrade organization to confirm that you want to upgrade your organization.
- Create your new DEX account for accessing the DEX platform. You can either sign in with Azure or Google OAuth, or you can manually create your DEX account by entering your information and creating a password. To sign in with Azure OAuth, you might need to configure permissions in Azure.
After creating your account, you are signed in to the DEX platform.
Set up your environment
Follow these steps to fully set up you environment in app.controlup.com.
Step 1 - Configure SAML
If you have configured Solve to use SAML, then you must set up SAML for app.controlup.com. If you use LDAP to access Solve, then this step is not necessary. To access the SAML configuration page, go to Global settings > SAML Single Sign On.
For details on how to set up SAML with your Identity Provider, see SAML SSO for DEX.
Step 2 - Configure login methods
To control how users are allowed to sign in to your environment through the DEX platform, configure the allowed login methods:
- Go to Global settings > User Settings > Login Methods.
- Select which login methods to allow. Note that if you set up SAML with app.controlup.com, you must allow Sign-in with SAML SSO.Sign-in with Azure prerequisitesIf you are using Azure OAuth to sign in to your environment, then you need to perform prerequisites in Azure. For details, see Azure OAuth for DEX
- Click Save.
For more details, see Login Methods Overview.
Step 3 - Configure roles and permissions
Before you invite your users and they create their DEX accounts, you might want to review your settings for roles and permissions. Permissions granted to a DEX account are related to:
- Edge DX (physical device monitoring, unified communications monitoring, and user sentiment).
- Scoutbees synthetic monitoring.
- Modifying access control settings in the DEX platform.
To view app.controlup.com's settings for Roles, go to Global settings > Roles.
There are default user roles (Admin, Editor, Viewer), and you can create new roles with customized permissions. For more details, see Users and Permissions.
Step 4 - Add your users
You can now add the rest of your team to the DEX platform.
If you are using SAML to access app.controlup.com, a user account is automatically created when a new user signs in to your environment with SAML. The user is assigned the Default Role configured in your SAML settings. In this case, send your users to your ControlUp SAML URL, and they can sign in with SAML.
If you are not using SAML to access app.controlup.com, you can manually invite your users by their email address. To invite users:
- Go to Global settings > User Settings > Invite Users.
- Enter the email addresses of the users to invite, select a role for each user, and click Send Invites.
For more details, see Users and Permissions.
Step 5 - Confirm that you can access your VDI & DaaS environment
After signing in to the DEX platform with your DEX account, you can access your VDI & DaaS environment (Solve).
- Click on the VDI & DaaS section on the left side of the screen:
- If you use LDAP to access Solve, sign in using your UPN and password. If you use SAML to access Solve, then you must enable SAML in DEX before you can access your VDI & DaaS environment.
After signing in, you can see your VDI & DaaS environment.