By default, the Insights On-Premises (IOP) data base is limited to 500GB and once you reach that size, the data is overwritten.
Please note that if you have less than 5 GB on the drive storing the data base, Indexing and some other functionalities will be stopped as well.
Here are the steps on how to change the location of the data base:
- Go into the Insights server and stop the service "Splunkd.exe"
- Go to: (location may change if installed on different location)
C:\Program Files\Smart-X\ControlUp Insights\var\lib\
- Copy the entire 'Splunk' folder to the new location (for example.. D\E drive..)
- The new location it will be like this:
- After coping the folder was done, go to
C:\Program Files\Smart-X\ControlUp Insights\etc
- Open "splunk-launch.conf" via Notepad
- Where it says: "#SPLUNK_DB=" take down the pound sign (#)
- Add the new location of the Splunk folder. E.g from the image below:
- Run via CMD as administrator:
"C:\Program Files\Smart-X\ControlUp Insights\bin\splunk" start
- All should show "Done" and in the end for the process starting you'll see:
- (with your server name)
- Once the service is up and running, you can run some reports in Insights, see it's all working.
Please note that the splunk folder in the old location may be recreated. It may contain a few small files. This is expected and not an issue. The new location will be used to read and write the vast majority of data from.
In order to change the database size, log into your Insights and go to Admin > Settings > Index Management and select 'Set max size' for the 'cuiop' DB.
If you're selecting smaller size then the existing size, Insights will automatically adjust.