The ControlUp Hybrid Cloud implementation is composed of three main components:
- Real-Time Console ("Console") - for real-time monitoring and management of your virtual and physical environment.
- Monitor - to monitor your environment 24/7, uploading historical and analytical data to our Hybrid Cloud infrastructure.
- Agents - to communicate with the Console and Monitor.
For information regarding communication ports for each of the components, see here.
ControlUp Console Requirements
ControlUpConsole.exe is the main executable used for displaying data and task invocation. No setup is needed to start using ControlUp. Just download the executable and run it on your admin station or a management server.
The ControlUp Console is compatible with:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 and 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows 11
- Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019 (must have .NET 3.5 installed)
The Console is the primary user interface for monitoring and managing your resources.
- The Console does NOT require a database.
- All the data you see is stored in RAM, which allows for fast manipulation of data. As a result, ControlUp Console memory usage can be intensive, depending on the number of managed machines.
- A RAM footprint of about 1GB (Working Set) is normal when managing an enterprise with up to 500 live user sessions, while thousands of sessions can bring the consoles' RAM usage up to several gigabytes.
In larger environments, we recommend using a high-performance server for running the console. There are also some performance optimizations you should consider to reduce the number of resources used by ControlUp Console. Refer to the Advanced Settings documentation page for more details.
Prerequisites for ControlUp Console
- Domain-joined desktop, laptop, Windows VM, or can be published as a CVAD application
- .NET 4.5 or above
- Download the executable from our website. No installation is required, just run the executable.
- AD account with privileges on the machines you wish to monitor and manage
- Credentials (a service account is best) and URL for your hypervisor (Citrix Hypervisor, VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V).
- Active Directory account with help-desk or higher permissions in the 7.15 environment and the Broker IP or hostname
- Firewall exceptions inside the company for RPC/WMI and ports 40705 and 40706 (or Windows firewalls off)
- Internet connectivity from the Monitor and Console machines (it can be via proxy)
ControlUp Monitor Requirements
The ControlUp Monitor is a component principally equivalent to the ControlUp Console but without a user interface. While the Console is a standalone executable, the Monitor runs as a Windows service, that does not require any user interaction and allows continuous monitoring of your resources.
Prerequisites for ControlUp Monitor
- Windows Server 2008 R2 or above
- .NET Framework 4.5 and above
- RPC Access enabled at the installation phase
Read more about the benefits of ControlUp Monitor and how to set it up here.
The ControlUp Agent is a lightweight service that gets installed on the managed computers in your organization. Installing the Agent on your systems allows you to use ControlUp Real-Time Console to perform in-depth monitoring, advanced systems management, and in-depth configuration evaluation.
ControlUp Agents have a minimal performance impact
- CPU usage – consistently 0% to 1%
- RAM consumption – 60 to 90 MB
- I/O – zero disk activity
- No software hooks, no drivers, and no reboot needed
Prerequisites for ControlUp Agents
- Windows operating systems: Windows 7 to Windows Server 2019. (Windows 2003 is not supported.)
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or 4.5 and above.
- Single incoming TCP port (by default 40705) open for ongoing console/monitor communications
- RPC and WMI access for initial deployment via the console. If access is not available, the agent can be installed manually using the MSI package.