The Agent Settings tab of the Settings window allows you to select your preferred agent installation options:
- Deploy agents automatically - When this option is checked (Default) the ControlUp Agent automatically deploys when computers are added to the console. In addition, when the console version is different than the agent version, the agent automatically upgrades to the console version. If a computer is defined in the console tree but the agent doesn't exist on the endpoint, the monitor also reaches out and tries to deploy the agents.
Note: For this to work, the AD account used by the monitor would need admin rights on the computers to deploy the agent.
You can select to install agents manually if you don't want resources used to automatically check for and install updates on the monitored machines.
- Check ping – By default, all selected computers are pinged before agent distribution to ensure connectivity. If your managed computers do not respond to ICMP traffic, you may uncheck the “Check Ping Reply” checkbox in the Add Computers window.
- Prerequisites check – By default, all selected computers are tested for .Net Framework presence before agents are distributed. This test may be bypassed by unchecking the “Check Pre-requisites” checkbox.
- Default TCP port (40705 by default) - You may select a custom TCP port number for client communications using the “Listen on port” field in the bottom right corner of the window. Ensure that the port number you select is not used for any other applications on your network.
- Auto-Connect Interval – Determines the time span between attempts to reconnect to agents if the “auto-connect” checkbox is enabled.
- Agents will be uninstalled automatically when not used - When this option is enabled, the agent is automatically uninstalled if the console or monitor is not connected to the agent for 5 min.
Note: If the computer is a ControlUp Monitor, the agent will not uninstall.
- Linux monitoring:
- You can select to install missing packages on Linux machines for agentless data collection.
- You can allow users to add machines that are running unsupported Linux flavors.
Note: We highly recommend not to add machines for these unsupported Linux flavors because this could disrupt data collection. Do so at your own risk.
- Customized icon for chat window - You can add a customized icon if you are using the chat functionality. Select this option and browse the local machine to locate and upload the icon's image file.
- Use only encrypted communication - For details on this option, see Agent Security Options in Agent Settings.
- Download Agent MSI – Use this link to download standalone MSI packages for agent installation if you selected not to deploy agents automatically.
- Agents authentication key - For details, see Agent Security Options in Agent Settings.