The purpose of this article is to describe the steps to define an incident trigger for a specific metric.
This example will create alert when system drive is below 100 MB.
In order to create specific trigger, first define the needed Stress Level Settings. Go to Stress Settings à “Free Space on System Drive” counter and define it as follows:
- If disc space goes below 100mb, present that in “Red” and “Load” should equal
- “Load” influences the Stress Levels configuration - the stress is basically a summary of loads, in the following example the stress level will be medium if just the Free Space on System Drive counter will meet the 100MB threshold
- Note: Important to understand that in the settings presented in the screenshot above, even if only the Free System space metric is below 100MB the computer will be in Medium stress level
In order to receive a notification when Free Space in System Drive equals or below 100MB, after defining the desired Stress Level, create the relevant Incident Trigger
1. Click on Add Incident Trigger
2. Click on Add Trigger and choose Stress Level trigger type
3. Define the Record Type, Stress level and duration, in this example: Computer, Medium, 3 seconds.
- In the Stress Settings we defined that if Free Space is less than 100MB the Stress level will reach Medium, this is why we choose that when stress level reaches medium, the trigger will be fired.
- In the next step, please click on the Filter editor
- In the filter editor choose the item to be Free Space on System Drive and make sure the argument meets the need for an alert if the free space equals or less than 100MB
- When finished defining the needed arguments click the OK button
- In the next step you will need to define the scope and schedule. Scope means by which folders and computers this trigger will be triggered. In this example all computers may trigger this trigger and on all days during the week
- In the following step you will define the follow-up action you prefer. Click on Add and choose how you would like to be notified, for example: if by email, push notification or windows alert
- Here is example for email notification that will be sent to two ControlUp users – Alon and Avner
- ControlUp offers two email notification types: the above email alert type offers the administrator to choose between ControlUp users. And another option is “Send an email alert using a local SMTP server”, which offers using local SMTP server and send emails to any distribution list or user (This option is performed by ControlUp Monitor 24*7 service)
- After finishing defining the different follow-up actions, you receive this summary window and can choose when the action should be repeated
- By clicking the Finish button you create the trigger which will alert the needed personnel and collect the data as incidents which can viewed in our Incidents Pane and Historical Reports