This article is for ControlUp On-Premises customers only.
The default size limit of Insights On-Premises (IOP) Index out-of-the-box is 500GB but can be configured by the administrator. In most cases, the disk doesn't need that much space but it depends on the following parameters:
- Size of ControlUp organization: More monitored machines/hosts = More disk space used.
- Retention needed: Decide how much data you want to keep.
To know and calculate your DB size, follow the steps:
- Log into your organizational Insights > Introspection details.
- Look at the Max daily index volume during the time period. This tells you how much data you're indexing per day. For example:
- Go to Settings > Index Management. There you'll see the Max DB Size which can be configured.
For example, if you're indexing 400MB~ per day and you want to have 6 months retention saved. 400(MB) x 180(days) = 72,000 = DB will need to be 72GB~.
- Once the DB is at the maximum capacity (72GB), it automatically deletes old files (older than 6 months as set).
- Deleting files manually by a user is NOT recommended.
- The Database folder can grow up to 30% more than what you set as a maximum DB size. There are 2 more types of data used by IOP: Data Model and Acceleration files.
- The total free space you should have on your disk is: 72 x 30% = 94GB
The Data Model is also in the Settings tab and acts as a warm DB. Data in this DB is saved so it can be retrieved more quickly than older data.
Clicking Set acceleration period to choose how much you want your data models to hold back.