Adding & assigning Linux Computers to a Linux Data Collector
Linux computers can be added to an LDC when the LDC is created or at any time afterward. They can be added individually by IP address, as a group from a range of IP addresses, or as a group from a list in a text file. ControlUp cannot generate a list of Linux computers in the organization, as it can for PCs, so you cannot simply select machines from such a list to add them.
Note: If you want to add Linux computers using a list in a text file, the file can include either the hostname, IP address, or FQDN of each computer. Separate computers in the list with line breaks, commas (,), semi-colons (;), or colons (:). E.g:
To add Linux computers to an LDC:
- In the Home ribbon bar, select Add Computers. The Add Computers window opens with the Search Active Directory tab selected.
- Open the By IP address tab
- Select the LDC that you want to add the computers too.
4. The Ping Timeout and Connection Timeout values control how long the system waits for a response from each Linux computer during computer discovery and SSH connections. By default, the timeouts are 200ms for Ping and 1,000ms for connections. To modify these values, in the Connection Settings area, in the Ping Timeout and Connection Timeout fields, change the values as required.
Note: If the Ping Timeout and Connection Timeout fields are not visible, to the right of the Connection Settings field, select the arrow to drop the menu down.
5. Once you configure the IP range & other settings, select Scan and wait for the machines to be discovered and checked. During this entire process, a progress bar appears below the table (#2 below). When the process is completed, the progress bar disappears.
The system lists all of the computers in the table. It then launches a discovery process for each of the computers in the list, and, for those it detects, attempts to connect via SSH, using the specified credentials. During this process, color-coded icons, indicating the connection status of each computer in the list, appear in the left column (#1 in the illustration below). If the system succeeds in connecting to a computer, it retrieves its DNS name and enters it in the second column, and Done appears in the Description column
The LDC begins installing the required RPMs on the selected machines. When the installation process is complete, the Linux computers are attached to the LDC. In addition, they are added to the list of managed computers at the bottom of the Organization Tree.