Starting from v8.1.5 and higher, and in both Hybrid-Cloud & On-premises environments, the monitor can now see in real-time the title and/or URL of an active (foreground) window or browser for Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Edge.
The following new columns were added to the Sessions tab:
Active Application - The name of the application currently running in the foreground.
Active Window Title - The window title of the application currently running in the foreground.
Active URL - The URL of the foreground browser tab.
Enable Settings and Set Rules for Active Application
The Real-Time Console now includes a dedicated settings tab for Active Application.
To enable the feature, select Settings > Active Application > select Show Active Application Title checkbox.
In the Active Application tab, you can set different rules for what to display and ignore in the dedicated Sessions column. For example, you can select not to display the full title of the active window.
Application titles containing the words you enter if you click Add Rule and enter a word in the Keywords field are not displayed in the "Active Application Title" column.
The Keywords field supports wild cards:
Excel - ignores only the exact match.
*Excel* - ignores any window title containing this word.
*Excel - ignores any window title ending with "Excel".
Excel* - ignores any window title beginning with "Excel".
Rules are not case sensitive.
Rules are not be applied to browsers' names.
An organization doesn’t want Excel sheets including the word ‘paycheck’ to display in ControlUp since those are confidential documents.
- In Settings > Active Application > click Add Rule.
- In the Add Active Application Title Rule dialog box, enter the following to the Keywords field: *paycheck*.
- Click OK and the word *paycheck* is listed in the column with other keywords and the action applied is Ignore.
The result in the Sessions view:
Enable Settings and Set Rules for Browser URLs
The Real-Time Console now includes a dedicated settings tab for Browser URL.
To enable displaying the Active URL column in the Sessions view and set rules for the feature:
- Select Settings > Browser URLs > select Monitor URLs for browser processes checkbox.
- Select the number of seconds for a URL to remain unchanged for that URL to be logged and to appear in the Sessions view. Default is 3.
- To set rules for the feature, click Add Rule and the Add URL Rule dialog opens.
- Enter a URL domain pattern and select the way you want to view URLs in the Logging settings area.
- Click OK and repeat for each URL domain. Your rules appear in the Browser URL Settings under these columns: For URLs matching this domain pattern, This part of the URL is logged.
Security Policy Delegation
Two new policies were added to the Security Policy Pane to enable ControlUp admins to delegate permissions regarding who can edit the Active Application & Browser URL settings:
Process Footprint & Network Impact
The ControlUp cuAgentHelper process enables this feature. It is a lightweight component that consumes few resources, detailed here:
CPU Usage - 0% on average.
RAM Usage - Up to 5MB memory utilization per user session.
Network Usage - 0 usage. It uses localhost UDP for communication with the Agent.
Enabling this feature does NOT require restarting the agent endpoints. When enabled on the Real-Time Console, the ControlUp Agent already running on the endpoints activates this feature on-the-fly.
In cases where a user session is in the ‘Disconnected’ state, the columns are blank, as displayed here:
When a session goes into the ‘Disconnected’ state, the cuAgent cuAgentHelper process turns off for that session until 'Active' again, and then the cuAgentHelper process automatically reopens.
In cases of Published Applications, when the user interacts with the application, ControlUp shows the correct information:
When the published application is not in use and the user does not interact within the published application realm, the console shows 'ICA Seamless Host Agent', but the application name is visible in the “XD Apps In Use”.
When no applications are running on the desktop, the columns are shown as follows: