ControlUp extends our monitoring capabilities by enabling you to now monitor remote client devices when they are logged into your virtual network. ControlUp's 'last mile' digital experience monitoring gives you increased visibility and control over your employee's client devices independent of where they work, whether in the office, from home or on the road, or the type of workspace they use, which could be virtual, physical, or cloud.
You can see metrics on how well the device's connections are performing when your end users are remotely logging into your VMware Horizon or Citrix VDI.
These metrics are collected per device for those devices that have the Remote DX - Client Metrics .DLL installed. You deploy the files onto devices that connect to your Citrix or VMware Horizon environments.
For details on supporting operating systems and deployment instructions, see Deploy Remote DX - Client Metrics Monitoring onto Client Devices.
Client Metrics in the Console and Solve
Once the monitoring agent files are deployed onto your users' client devices and metrics are collected, these metrics appear in the Real-Time Console and in the Solve interface as described below.
Some of the metrics that ControlUp monitors include:
- LAN Latency. Latency between the client device connected to the session and the local router.
- Total Session Latency. Total session latency from the client device calculated from the second callback.
- Internet Latency. Latency between the client device connected to the session and the Google DNS servers.
- WiFi signal strength plus data such as authentication, SSID, channel, etc.
- NIC (Network Interface Controller) speed, type, name
- Client OS version.
- Foreground app
- Client inactive time
- Local router IP
There is also a metric for Client Device Score that calculates a combination of metrics to display how well the device's connections are performing overall. The score is displayed as a colored icon in its own column and is based on the worst threshold among these metrics: WiFi Signal, Lan Latency, Total Session Latency, Internet Latency.
There is a new column preset that you can select when viewing these metrics for your remote users’ devices. In the Presets menu in the top ribbon, select Remote DX and you can see all the columns related to these metrics.
In the Solve web interface, there are columns you can select to add to the Discovery page grid.
To view Remote DX - client metrics in Solve:
- Click the Discovery icon to access the Discovery page.
- In the Topology click User Sessions.
- In the right area above the grid, click the Grid column pick icon .
- Select from the following optional columns:
- Client Device Score
- Client NIC Name
- Client NIC Speed
- Client NIC Type
- Internet Latency
- LAN Latency
- Latency Avg
- Total Latency
- WiFi Signal
- WiFi SSID
You now see the columns for these metrics in your SOLVE grid.
- Click the Client Device Score icon to drill down to troubleshoot connection issues.
The details of the device's connection into your virtual environment are displayed showing the different sections of the device's connection path.