The “Session Remote Control” or “Session Shadowing” action may fail in any of the following cases:
- The “Allow users to start both listed and unlisted programs on initial connection” setting is not selected in RemoteApp configuration on your RDS.
- The “Run initial program specified by user” setting is not selected setting on the Environment tab of RDP properties in Terminal Services Configuration.
- The “Always Show Desktop on Connection” setting in Group Policy is enabled.
- In Citrix XenApp environments, the “Launching of non-published programs during client connection” in XenApp user policies is not enabled.
- When executing Remote Control on Citrix ICA sessions, the Citrix Online Plugin is not installed on the computer on which you are running ControlUp console.
- Several known issues (http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX125693) affect the session shadowing functionality in various scenarios including multiple monitors, using Windows Aero and more.
Using Remote Assistance instead of session shadowing is a recommended fallback option in these cases.