The ControlUp Hybrid Cloud implementation is composed of three main components:
- Console - for real time environment monitoring and management.
- Monitor - to monitor your environment 24/7, and uploading historical and analytical data to our Hybrid Cloud infrastructure.
- Agents - to communicate with the Console and Monitor.
For information regarding communication ports for each of the components, see here.
ControlUp Console Requirements
ControlUpConsole.exe is the main executable used for data display and task invocation. No setup is needed to start using ControlUp. Just download the executable and run it on your admin station or a management server.
ControlUp console is compatible with:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 and 8.1
- Windows 10
- Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016.
The Console is the primary user interface for monitoring and managing your resources.
- The Console requires no database.
- All the data you see in it is stored in RAM, which allows for extremely fast manipulation of data. As a result, ControlUp Console memory usage can be intensive, depending on the number of managed machines.
- A RAM footprint of about 1GB (Working Set) is normal when managing an enterprise with up to 500 live user sessions, while thousands of sessions can bring the console’s RAM usage up to several gigabytes.
In larger environments, we recommend using a high-performance server for running the console. There are also some performance optimizations you should consider in order to reduce the amount of resources used by ControlUp Console. Please refer to the Advanced Settings documentation page for more details.
Prerequisites for ControlUp Console
- Domain joined desktop, laptop, Windows VM, or can be published as a XenApp application.
- .Net 4.5
- Download the executable from our website. (No installation required, run the executable with ease!)
- AD account with privileges on the machines you wish to Monitor/Manage
- Credentials (a service account is best) and URL for your hypervisor (XenServer, VMware, Hyper-V)
- AD account with help-desk or higher permissions in the 7.15 environment and the Broker IP or hostname
- Firewall exceptions inside the company for RPC/WMI and ports 40705 and 40706 (or Windows firewalls off)
- Internet connectivity from the Monitor and Console machines (it can be via proxy)
ControlUp Monitor Requirements
The ControlUp Monitor is a component principally equivalent to ControlUp Console but without an interactive user interface. The primary difference between a Monitor and a Console is the fact that the Monitor runs as a Windows service, requiring no user interaction and allowing for continuous monitoring of your resources.
Prerequisites for ControlUp Monitor
- Windows Server 2008 or above
- .NET Framework 4.5
- RPC Access enabled at the installation phase
Read more about the benefits of Control-Up Monitor and how to set it up here.
The ControlUp Agent is a lightweight service that gets installed on the managed computers in your organization. Installing the Agent on your systems allows you to use ControlUp Real Time Console to perform in depth monitoring, advanced systems management, and in depth configuration evaluation.
ControlUp agents have a minimal performance impact
- CPU usage – consistently 0% to 1%
- RAM consumption – 60 to 90 MB
- I/O – zero disk activity
- No software hooks, no drivers and no reboot needed
Prerequisites for ControlUp agents
- Windows OS - Windows 7 to Windows Server 2019. (Windows 2003 is not supported.)
- .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 or 4.5 and above.
- Single incoming TCP port (by default 40705) open for ongoing console/monitor communications
- RPC and WMI access for initial deployment via the console. If access is not available, the agent can be installed manually using the MSI package.