Missing RPC/WMI access to the target computer
Agent Error Message
- Failed to contact COMPUTERNAME using WMI with the following error: The RPC server is unavailable
- An error occurred querying service cuAgent onComputerName Failed to contact ‘COMPUTERNAME ‘ using WMI with the following error: The RPC server is unavailable.
- Validating WMI availability error from WMI: Failed to contact ‘COMPUTERNAME ‘ using WMI with the following error: The RPC server is unavailable.
- RPC service is not available and cannot connect to admin$ share
- Failed to contact*'COMPUTERNAME'* using WMI with the following error / HRESULT: 0x80070721 / WMI connectivity
If a firewall prevents you from gaining remote RPC / file system and WMI access, you can manually install the ControlUp agent MSI package on the target computer, thus avoiding the need for RPC / remote WMI access.
Once the ControlUp agent MSI package is installed only TCP port 40705 needs to be open on the target computer (the MSI package setup wizard automatically creates a Windows firewall rule to open this port).
Also refer to article Failed to replace agent, which also discussed WMI issue.
In some cases, the WMI of the operating system is too corrupt, this can be verified by accessing the local Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), run wmimgmt.msc and go to Action, Properties, You should see info like Processor, OS, SP and WMI version, any errors there, means the local WMI is corrupted and needs to be repaired on the OS.