Configure and Install a ControlUp Monitor
ControlUp Monitor is a Windows service that allows for continuous monitoring of your external resources. For more information, see What is a ControlUp Monitor?.
Prerequisites for ControlUp Monitor
Verify that the machine that you deploy the monitor on meets the following prerequisites:
- Windows Server 2016, 2019, or 2022. Windows client OS are not supported.
- .NET Framework installed:
- For ControlUp version 8.6.5 or higher: .NET Framework 4.8
- ControlUp version 8.6 or lower: .NET Framework 4.5 or higher
- Allow RPC inbound traffic.
- Enable administrative shares on the monitor machine.
- Powershell 5.X
To enable the ControlUp Monitor to connect to managed machines, you need to assign domain credentials to the monitor service as described below.
Configure the Monitor
Before you install a monitor on a machine, you first need to configure the monitor settings in the Real-Time Console.
To configure the monitor:
- From the Real-Time Console, login to your ControlUp organization, go to Home > Add Monitor.
- On the popup message, click OK. As you need to provide a service account credential for the Primary Domain Credential, make sure that you already you prepared this account prior to the installation of the monitor.
- In the Monitors tab, click Monitors Settings. The Sites and Monitors - Configuration Wizard opens.
Add Monitor Credentials
In the Domain Identity tab, add credentials so your monitors can connect to your environment and resources, such as hypervisors, EUC environments, cloud environments, NetScaler applicances.
To add monitor service account credentials:
- Click Add Domain. The Add New Domain Identity popup appears.
- Enter or select the Domain FQDN from the Domain Selection list, enter valid domain credentials, and click OK. We recommend that the domain account be a member of the local administrator group to deploy agents remotely.
- Optionally, to save new credentials, select Save a new credentials set, enter the new credentials into each field as required, and click OK.
- Select Shared credentials for each credential set. To learn more about this option, see Configuring Shared Credentials.
Note that all monitors and consoles in your environment must use the same credentials when connecting to your resources. You can share your credentials in your Monitor Settings so that all ControlUp users can easily connect to your resources without having to know the service account username and password. For more information, see Configuring Shared Credentials.
- Optionally, to add additional credentials for hypervisor connections or EUC environment connections:
- Click Add Credentials Set and the Add New Credentials popup appears.
- Enter the new credentials into each field as required, click OK, and the credentials are added.
- Repeat the process as needed to add credentials for all of the resources that you connect to ControlUp.
- Optionally, click the Proxy Settings tab to configure any proxy settings for the default site, if required.
You can configure the proxy settings option separately for each site.
- Optionally, click the Export Schedule tab to configure an Export Schedule.
If you already configured export rules in the console, and not on a monitor, you can select Import Settings to import those rules so that the export occurs even when no console is running. Set the Reports Directory path on the monitor machines where the reports are saved. Enter Credentials that have permission to write to the directory you entered.
- Optionally, click the Solve Settings tab to configure Solve. Follow the instructions to open Solve to configure SAML Single-Sign-On and click OK.
- Optionally, click the SMTP Settings tab to configure Trigger Alerts. Follow the instructions to configure a priorty list of SMTP servers and their connection details and click OK.
- Optionally, click the Advanced Settings tab to change the default monitor service resource settings. For more information about changing the default settings, see Performance Optimization for Real-Time Console & Monitor.
The Export Schedule , SMTP Settings, and Advanced Settings are global and aren't set per site.
After you configure your monitor, you can install the monitor on domain-joined machines with the following prerequisites:
- Windows Server 2016 or later.
- .NET Framework 4.8 or later.
- Windows PowerShell 5 or later.
To install the monitor on a machine:
- From the Real-Time Console, go to Home > Add Monitor > Monitors > Add Monitors to Site.
The ControlUp Monitor Installation Wizard opens.
- Select one or more machines as required to install the monitor on. Note that these machines should be dedicated to running the monitor.
- Optionally, change the port that the monitor uses for communication to the console. Verify that the port is open for communication in your firewall. By default, the port that the monitor listens on is 40706 (console <> monitor).
- Click Install. The installation process might take a few seconds.
The monitor installation wizard tests various components of the target machine before deploying the service to ensure that it will be able to run.
- After the installation completes, click Finish > OK.
The monitor(s) you installed appear in the Monitors tab next to a green icon.
Confirm Monitor Connection
After you install a monitor, you can go to Settings > Monitors to view the connection status of each monitor, and all of the data sources that the monitor(s) is connected to.